Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Two-wheels and public transportation

the 1st pasque flower at the ranch. Battered but survived the 4 foot snow last week not looking to worse for the wear.

Preparations for the self-supported Kokopelli Trail ride are in their final days. Leaving early this Sunday and returning the following Saturday night with something like this: bike to bus, get on train, bike from Fruita to Moab and back, hop back on train, get on N bus, and finally bike home. It should be quite fun.

It's been a stressful week though as my rear rack broke. Trying to find one that fits a disc-mounted 29er with no eyelets and a wishbone seatstay is difficult enough, but to get it shipped to Ned in 3 days time is a even taller order. Luckily, I have one coming from Old Man Mountain -the Sherpa...I just hope it gets here in time! I'm going heavier than the Moots Tailgator this time so I can put more weight on the bike and less on my back (the Tailgator says 5lb limit but I broke it with half that on my second tour). I'm excited to try out the Hunter front custom fillet-brazed mini-pannier! It's so clean, beautiful, perfect! I wish I had asked for one for the back of the bike too. It'll be awesome to ride withe Marin bros too...they're making the trip out from the Bay Area by train! It's weird, but the last time I rode this much of the Kokopelli Trail (from Rabbit Valley to Loma) was with JHK and Irmiger something like 10 years ago!? (Damn, i'm old.) That was an amazing trip, a turning point of sorts for all of us--out with the old and in with the new, to put it simply. (However, I was never close to their current caliber.) I have a feeling the upcoming trip - a partial reunion of Team Tam!? - will also be a turning point. A trip that will be the start of a yearly mountain bike tour, picking different places to link on two wheels and public transportation. Rad.

1 comment:

Scott said...

is it synergy that the brown clown and the postman arrived the same day with two things that were meant for each other?

thank you, my friend...enjoy the kokopelli. tell her, hello, for me.