Saturday, December 4, 2010

Rocks are hard


Went scouting on the Trabs this week and found some new prospects up lower than high on the rib. Follow the tunnel, it gets you there easier and faster - that's basically what i learned.  I've been getting lost up here for how many years (?) and just finally found a good route to Quicky couloir, and the middle rib area. 
MegaHare tracks
The route I took up was just stock full of snowshoe hare, bobcat, squirrel, marten, and mouse tracks.  A great old growth stand of fir in between trails so gets very little human use.  No ski tracks were crossed.

Looking east, one of the runs that opened up in front of me.  The Trabs ski SO much different than the Manaslus...i bailed a few times until I realized you really have to dig into the turn instead of 'surf' the turn like on the Manaslu!

First snowpit showed some questionable stability on east/southeast slopes up at 10,800ft.   Some serious sun crusts (ice layers) and wind slabs separate softer snow (see the layer that my snow saw is bisecting in the photo?).  Break through one of those and whaBAAM! I exited the safe way down in the deep woods but not before tip diving in some nice breakable crust. The layer near the ground is just pure ice with huge facets underneath.  Cold weather, no significant snowfall, lots of wind, classic early season Colorado snowpack.

Safely back to the trail with only minor gashes in my skis, I snowplowed as I look left for the goods.  Bad idea - I hit a rock sticking up just a couple inches about the surface. The ground came up and hit me so f'ing hard, my shoulder feels like I just played a Rugby game against Burlingame (long story, yes I played Rugby in high school).

Steel*Wool has an entry in the 14th Annual Elk Mountain Grand Traverse!  Heyride and yours truly are heading to Crested Butte at the end of March for another round...let the training (ski touring) begin!

No comments: