Sunday, March 13, 2011

Squirrel-Huck Gully

Solo skintrack, Wasatch style because of practicality (don't mess up your turnage spots!)
The top of the first run, Twin-Tree Hill.
And the big whopper, I'm calling it Big Johnson Chute. Zero degrees north facing, literally. Starts at 10,500ft-ish, ends 1,300ft lower down. Yes, it was amazing. You missed out, Pilots. I'll take a 4-pack of TenFidy or an Abyss if you want me to lead you there.
About 600ft vertical down from the last photo...and I was only halfway down! 

Nobody could go ski today so I went anyway. Headed back, once again, up to E.P.C. and Squirrel-huck gully (named after the crazy squirrel that hucked a huge air after completing a 30ft log-ride across the gully the first time I came up here). 

Another 'surprise' storm left 3" at the house and another 5-8" up high (sounds like a broken record, eh?).  The weather was calm and sunny at the ranch, then as i hit the schoolhouse it was whipping wind creating a whiteout.  Classic tunnel conditions at the parking lot.

I dig solo excursions into the woods, not better than with friends, but just different. My mind is calmer, I hear more things around me, i notice the snowpack and weather conditions more, I go my own pace, I find better skin-tracks (or at least nobody cusses me out if I don't), and search for spots that may not have a good approach but I only have myself to get turned around only to end up at the top of a cliff and have to boot-pack back up 100ft in punchy recycled powder (yes, that was reality today).  In between Squirrel-Huck Gully and the Whaleback is Big Johnson Chute - the longest continuous line at the tunnel that I've found.  The line I've been eying for years...check.  I'm usually not a 'check-box' type of dude but sometimes the shoe fits. 

Happy Spring Forward all.

No comments: