Thursday, May 8, 2008

Suspension

I will make an assumption that 90% of the mountain bikes sold in the last 5 years, and out riding today, have front suspension and greater than 60% of MTBs have rear suspension. I would bet the latter # is a bit low...but I really don't know.

It's ironic to me that singletrack continues to get wider and wider from riders with suspension (the vast majority) going around rocks, water bars, roots and other obstacles in the trail. Lack of riding skills is not an excuse, and even more of a reason to just plow over things!

SO...
Why in the world have suspension if you're just going to go around bumps like you probably did withOUT suspension?!?! I just don't understand.

Part of the technicality of a trail involves what is ON or IN the trail, so please go over the obstacles instead of around - and keep singletrack narrow.

2 comments:

Arleigh Jenkins said...

I think the part you missed is high end mountain bikes.

I would bet that Trek's for $350 and Mongoose from Target out weight any full suspension % out there.

Meriwether said...

Absolutely. I guess I was referring to the more high end MTB sales since, for the trails I ride, I never see the Wallmart/Target bikes until I get to the paved bike paths. Although most those are full suspension POS's!

I found this link thru a quick Google search but doesn't really have exactly what I'm looking for.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=137135