Saturday, January 17, 2009

6k trees on Tuesday

We had a "surprise" snowstorm Monday morning. NOAA didn't see it coming, therefore the plows didn't either. It must've started at 5am and by 10am there was 6" on the ground...then it stopped at the house but continued up high for the entire day. Berthoud reported 10" and so did Eldora (lies). But either way, it was the biggest storm of the season I think, or at least that I can remember. (Here in the Rockies, a foot in one day is pretty big unlike the western states' 2feet per day.) So after finally getting to work (the plows didn't come by my house until after 9am) I realized I should've just stayed home and gone skiing.

Smrp had driven our rottie/pit mix Freddy to the vet Monday early Monday morning to get surgery on a large liver tumor. He wasn't to come home until Tuesday afternoon. She had a 5 hour round trip - should've only taken 3 at the most on a dry day. Freddy's doing really well today (Saturday) and seems to have broken out of the significant pain he was in the last few days. We hope this will be the last we see of this liver cancer!

Tuesday morning I was determined to pay tribute to the snow that had fallen by hitting my favorite dawn patrol site - 6k bowl. (I rename things every few years just to keep it fresh.) The last time I was here it was the windiest day in the history of the world. Today didn't disappoint and seemed to be trying to compete with the last time i was there. Except today there was a fresh 10" of snow that had fallen the previous day. The trees were therefore PLASTERED with snow. Literally. It looked like someone had just sprayed drywall compound on these poor trees.

The skin in past the snowplastered trees

the opening into the bowl shows the trees are carrying most the snow

I took the normal route in and enjoyed breaking trail for the 45 minute approach from the parking area. Upon reaching the bowl, I took these two pictures and then quickly turned around and skinned up through the trees. Hardslab with 60mph gusts plastering my face in the bowl, or hidden from the wind and deep soft powder in the trees?...hmm. It's amazing to me how the wind can f*%$ he snow up so quickly after a storm.

Sunrise at 10,000ft

The one run I took was pretty good, having linked all the open pockets this run had to offer (and that i don't always find). Not a bad way to start the workday if I do say so myself! Makes sitting at my desk for those 8 hours somewhat more tolerable.

No comments: