Thursday, May 21, 2009

Aspens leaf out

Sunday I headed out on what was to be a short ride around the hood. Got out the door around 8:30am or so, then headed up the road to the start of the trails I was gonna 'patrol' for downed wood. This time of year we go out with the saw because after winter, there's a ton of blown down and dead trees across most trails. This year there's even more from all the broken-top trees from the 4 foot snowstorm we had in April. Many others have hit these trails before me, so several of the trees had been moved or pruned back so it wasn't as bad as i expected. But now all that was left was the high-hanging fruit...the heavy and huge trees. No matter, it was a beautiful 75 degrees and sunny day with nobody on the trails.

Of course after thinking that, I ran into people, but all locals. I first ran into KB - another local from the more eastern mongolia universe. I was headed her way, she was headed mine on one of our favorite secret trails that is not so secret anymore. Hasn't been for a few years actually. But anyways, this was the first time we actually met and it was great to get to chat with her about a variety of topics from the aforementioned secret trails status to how our pets are doing. If you don't know KB, her excellent blog is linked on the right "Romp and roll in the Rockies." Years ago, i recall seeing her on my morning commutes riding with her pup K. We called her "spinnygirl" as she spins at a higher cadence than anyone I know, and having read her blog it's due to her back issues I should follow suit due to my developing left knee issue...

Later on, I was on another secret trail that is nearly impossible to see the route in places from overwintering. Moving some fallen trees, picking up some scattered barbed wire, I see a group of 5 or 6 coming towards me on the trail...do i run and hide? How do they know about this trail? WHO ARE THEY? Well it was King NIMBY and his trail crew doing the exact same thing I was doing - removing the deadfall from the local trails...too funny. Again, chatted again about the weather, trails, stuff, and moved on towards home. It was that type of day...just beautiful, "ladeedah" like a butterfly in the wind, going where ever it took me.

Aspen Peeping in May: Our aspens started leafing out yesterday - May 20th. What seems to be a good week earlier than last year.

No comments: