Sunday, May 24, 2009

May showers

It's been raining a bit lately here, reminding me of how it is riding in norcal in winter (sans the crazy thunderstorms). Near 100% humidity and 60 degrees, I rode in a short sleeve shirt in and out of rainshowers. I think this is my 2nd favorite time to ride with my favorite being late September/early October. Summer...not so much. Today I rode some more local trails, just out the back door to enjoy the precip, smell of spring, and new experience on our usually dry trails now housing wet roots and rocks. Every section of every trail is a different experience - things you usually don't even think twice about become a challenge to clean. On the Hunter as a singlespeed now it's an even bigger challenge keeping momentum on the ups while not hurling over the bars from slipping on a root.

I'm having trouble motivating for any spring couloir skiing this year. I'm not sure why exactly but it's probably the combination of waking up at 4:30am to get up to the trail head and hike for a few hours with all that crap on my back. I know I'd love it, like i always do once i get out there, but maybe it's time for a year off to refuel the tank.

If you haven't been keeping up, or even seen, my better half's site...check it out.
I rarely write about our (non-human) family, but you really should check out the video of our new foal and read the backstory if you can. Baby horses are insanely cute and just hilarious to watch.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Uh Oh, Are you in love Meriwether?

Suz