Wednesday, July 29, 2009

post-work Pilot ride

It's July 29th and I'm wearing fleece pants. Yesterday, I woke to 36 degrees before my ride into work. WTF?! I'm not complaining, just curious what the heck is going on. I actually love this weather because it's usually so darned dry here in the summer. But this is truly weird. It's been raining a bunch this month and nothing has really dried out yet. It's lush and green and the trails in the woods feel like we live in the pacific northwest.

Took the Hunter SS in today on BandCamp, with the plan of meeting Dr.Cross and Dubba for a post-work ride in the "sacrifice area" west of town. (Yes, there's a hint of a negative connotation in that term but it's actually what the Forest Service uses to describe this area in terms of the recreational impacts it gets and how they manage it.)

Dubba hangs on to bottlecap bridge

Either way, it's still a really fun place to ride a bike...especially at 6pm after some good rain when no one is there (so i'm a retrogrouch recluse, sorry). Habid and the hobbits were out in force as we speeded through the climbs and singletrack linking things I haven't touched in awhile but thought i knew the paths to (which I did but didn't realize it. We ended up doing the ride i wanted to do but it all looked so different i thought we were lost! Note to self: come here more often.)

Dubba pilots his Sofa King SS

...and blasts thru the aspens...

...and rides the toilet bowl at the top of the hill

Props to Dubba who happened to be running a sickly (some may call crazy) gear ratio - something like 32x16 whereas we were running 32x20. As you can see, I got more pics of Dubba than Dr.Cross as he was riding quite fast and I couldn't keep up! I bequeathed his name, Pilot Flyboy today. His new Kelley 29er singlespeed and him were communing on a higher level than myself or Dubba.

Case in point - look at that smile.

What's also cool about this above photo is that the trail behind used to be a highly used 4-wheel drive road that was blocked off a few years ago by the Forest Service. Now you can see that that road has turned into a nice little singletrack trail. Roads to trails. I love it.

4 comments:

KB said...

OK Meriwether. Now I'm sure that you have secret access to my iPhoto library! We take the same darn picts - those yellow flowers are the giveaway this time!

I agree about the weather but I actually am complaining. It's raining and 40 deg at 7:30 AM in July. That's not right!

NinjaPonyDad said...

Man that looks sweet...the doc cleared me for takeoff last night ..."but no tempo"... "so doc, what's the point?" Puttin' Midge On Ones on the CX bike and trying a moto brake setup with some new Paul's. Probably won't race 'til later in the season if I can at all this season...but I gotta get out there with all this blood!!!
Sweet pics, I gotta stop reading your posts at work!!! Ha!!

bocomike.com said...

Wow! How do I get to this stuff? I have ridden Ned several time but I am obviously not dialed-in to the same trails. Please share!

Meriwether said...

Hah...yeah sure! Even if i could explain how to find these trails in writing it'd be something like "look for the rock next to the tree and the trail that starts near that intersection..." etc. You'll have to learn the way i did - go explore and get lost! cheers, M.