Thursday, September 10, 2009

Collegiates Tour

The Pilot and I headed out on labor day weekend for a little tour. The route came together last minute with help from the locals -someone at Absolute Bikes and GunnyTrailsMan himself. We chose the Salida area because of all the sweet trails that I've wanted to explore, other than Monarch Crest which is the classic ride of this area. So off we went, to do part of the Vapor Trail 125 course with a different starting point and cut off the last part to ride more of the CT and make it more dirt.

The route included a lot of old recovering railroad grades, above treeline alpine singletrack, and some seriously long sections of below treeline uninterrupted by roads fast singletrack. We went somewhat lightweight, but i wish i had brought more clothes or a warmer sleeping bag as we slept high on this route - over 10,000ft. both nights - where it got down to 30 degrees. It also rained a bit more than we'd have wished because finding and setting up our tarps in the rain makes for a cold night and wet shoes to put on in the morning. But I can't complain, it was epic, and we saw some of the best of what makes Colorado - COLORADO. Here's a lil slideshow to show more:

http://picasaweb.google.com/whitcj/FallTour#

2 comments:

NinjaPonyDad said...

Saw your dot.dot.dot on the map and could tell you were doing some altitude. The trips you invent amaze me and make me want to get farther and farther out.
Good luck on the big ride, I've got some stuff to show you when you get back. heart is on fire puttin' it in the legs!

KB said...

I tried to do part of the same ride on one of our summer trips. We drove it almost to Hancock, where Rodger was going to drop me off but got spooked by some weird people parked in the same area, riding ATVs with big guns strapped to them. Decided to wait until I had a riding partner. Too bad, it looks like I really missed some fun!