Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sunspot

May 15th. (Delayed post)
The sun is shining today but it's been a pretty rainy and snowy spring here. I haven't been riding much at all. But the other day I got out on a ride on Tank the Crosscheck and was unsure if I'd be making it home before I got drenched and frozen, once again. I started to head north towards the local spring ski spot to see if the road was rideable yet, but Ned looked pretty ominous with dark clouds and snow starting to fall. The road that separates the peaks from the foothills is such a funny separator. "They" placed the road in the right place somehow, so you can have one weather pattern to the west of it and another to the east. So, I about-faced and headed south to my regular route of this year. Only some flakes hit my face before heading east to the sloppy dirt road seen above.

Fenders...they simply rule. Nobody rides with them in Colorado because it doesn't really rain here except for during the summer monsoon season where we get intense 20 minute afternoon thundershowers.

My route seemed to stay in the sunspot today. A big loop that had snow to the west and pretty dark rainclouds to the east (above). (On the pod was the new Leatherface, who was supposed to be in Denver on the 19th...but their tour of the US got canceled. Such a bummer as this veteran UK band has never been to Denver and rarely comes to the US.) I have yet to see another rider on this route. I know this area is seen as 'redneck-ville' but I've mostly been met with wide-berths, waves, and very few cars. Times must be a-changing.

1 comment:

KB said...

I agree - in the springtime, fenders RULE! Otherwise, riding on our dirt roads after a snow would be impossible.

Glad that you stayed in the sun spot!