Friday, May 7, 2010

Tunage

Music.

Depending on the band, the song, your mood, or the interaction of all those things, music is simply a force of nature. It can change your mood from happy to sad, make you sing aloud forgetting whyever you were in a bad mood, or simply accentuate whatever mood you're already in. I hear the lyrics talk to me some days more than others - like somehow my iPod in it's somewhat random shuffle knew that it had something to tell me.

I can end a bad day with the iPod landing on songs that make me sing aloud to the words of NoMeansNo, the Hanson Brothers, or Descendants allowing me to come home exuberant and happy, or get extremely melancholy at the overwhelming tone and power of Kinski, Mono, or Mogwai. I get empowered to try to change the world listening to old-school punk like Dead Kennedys or Minor Threat, and have more fun that I probably should trying to sing along in thick Brit-accent with the political/love songs of Billy Bragg.

There's really not much that can exert such emotion over me like music; we enable songwriters to speak through us and share their experiences through words and tunes. For these reasons, I wish I had stuck with it, stuck with playing guitar and bass and playing in bands. But I guess there's only so much one can do in one lifetime. I just take heart in the fact that there will always be new stuff out there to experience.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Being a good listener is part of the whole.
The performer tries to reach you, you can either be reached or not. Its totally true what you say about music and mood, I have no idea how it works, but it does and I respect that. And shuffle, I swear my shuffle plays music not on my iPod...that'll rock your mood! Where di THAT come from??