Saturday, November 13, 2010

My 1st fresh tracks of the season

The Hunter is a permanent singlespeed right now. I prefer one gear in snow or mud...or most anytime really. But for the winter it's really just perfect - no shifting issues, icing up, lighter bike to carry, etc.

I didn't get first tracks on Habid, but I did get first BIKE tracks. Some runner and his dog were all over that area yesterday morning! I really don't think there's a much better riding experience than singletrack with two inches of champagne powder on top. With snow, Habid returns to the pre-Y2K feel where you need to know the trail to stay on it. Reminded me of IGSSC99, except nobody was lighting CO2 cartridges on fire to keep their hands warm.

(Tech note: 2.4 Kenda Nevegal's make great snow tires. They're the track on the right up above. Running 20 lbs at the most as tubeless with Stans, wide big knobs, great traction on anything loose. But on pavement? Not so good.)

No comments: