Sunday, March 9, 2008

Time to lose an hour

I felt like I visited the island today (Lost)...we all lost an hour but I didn't even realize it until I was late for a ski date. It all started at 5am, or 6am had I known that the result of GW's "Energy Policy" was to move daylight savings forward 3 weeks. I guess that's cool now there's more light to ride home in if less in the morning. ANYWAY...I was trying to squeak out a dawn patrol this Sunday morning so that I could meet my girl and a couple friends to XC ski some trails where we ride bikes in the summer. I hit Backdoor Spring for some guaranteed solitude and fresh turns, and the fact that it's Frozen Dead Guy Days in Ned so there's traffic as far the eye can see on the Peak to Peak. It's ugly...I didn't want to go anywhere NEAR town. I went skate skiing at the nordic center yesterday at 4, and there were parked cars (traffic) from half-way up the shelf road to Eldora all the way into Ned...that is certainly a record. After sitting in traffic for 40 minutes I decided to go SOUTH today and stay clear of the festivities.

The Spring was in excellent shape, got 4 runs of really nice turns in a few inches of new snow, and didn't see anyone until I was departing at 11am. Yes, I'm a total recluse. Blogging is how I share my stories with my friends and the "world." I truly do have friends, they just can't (or don't) always ski when I can on the weekends. So solo it is many days. Such is life as a weekend warrior. I many times prefer it actually.

Having returned to my truck after a good 3 hour jaunt i saw that my phone said it was 11am, but my truck clock said it was 10. Hmm. WTF?! I was really confused...which was right? Daylight savings isn't for another 3 weeks!? I thought my phone was messed up...but then if that was true i had another full hour before I meet up with the crew. So how did this happen? Did I just ski really that fast? Did I enter a worm hole while cratering in the powder and somehow gain an hour?

So on back home I went to meet the group of Smrp and NinjaPonyMom&Dad for some XC skiing and exploring. We didn't bring any dogs, but i wish we had brought the Monkey as the trails were perfect and we only saw three people and one on-leash dog during the 2 hour ski.

You rang? A busted open door to the YMCA showed a ransacked cabin (by mice) and a phone...? Is there really service up there or it just for the loudspeaker to let the kids know supper's on?

I love this shot, even though it's low light. Skiing by its nature is "singletrack," but here it's the actual place you HAD to ski.

No comments: