Monday, December 15, 2008

Arctic Cold

It cold.

We woke up to -11 at the ranch today, and it was lower down in the eastern plains (inversion).
At least it came with snow on Saturday night and Sunday - 5" total and more on the way tonight. We're finally getting some snow after a super dry fall and early winter. The local resort had snow on the runs and then just dirt right off them, until now. It seems like it'll be awhile before the east side of the divide's backcountry opens up. BadCop had some good turns just on the other side of the divide so maybe we go there this weekend.

I tried alpine skiing for the first time in 22 years. It was weird to have the heels locked down to say the least. But, I have to say that it was fun! I can see that tree skiing will be more like snowboarding - easier than tele (slight movements to turn instead of tele where i was hoping every tree wouldn't take me out), and carving is really easy. The style of alpine has changed a lot since I was a tot. The upright-stance-with-skis-close-together form is now uncool and not seen much versus the race-ready-wide-stance-carving "stacked" stance of the new school. I tend to like the aethetics of the former mixed in with a bit of long carving turns. Not monoboard or racing gates style turns, but fluid long GS turns...or something like that. Tele is so much more beautiful, but still second to snowboarding.

SO, I'm going to TRY and keep a running total of the snowfall since I always wonder "what did it do last year this time?"
Here's what I find in my blog and memory:
Oct. 11th = 3"
Oct 23rd = 1" (ish)
Nov. 14th = 1"
Nov. 26th = 1"
Nov. 29th = 4"
Nov 30th = 2" (ish)
Dec 3rd = 5"
Dec 13th = 5"
So, as of today, we're at about 22" for this season...or thereabouts.

No comments: