Tuesday, December 23, 2008

No Picture

I find it difficult to write when I have taken no pictures of the day. My Canon Elph died a few months ago, but I've since gotten an iPhone which has taken most of the photos displayed since then on this site. The iPhone's camera quality is relatively poor especially in darker conditions (like Winter here). So when I took my first tour in the new AT setup up at Windy Tunnel last Saturday I just had my phone. Trouble was, the 1 degree temps and high winds killed the battery in not only my phone, but my GPS so I couldn't photograph or mark (again) the location of "secret trees." Sad, as every damn time I head up there I can't find this sweet stash right away (they're hidden after all) and this time I couldn't even document my first alpine BC turns ever. They weren't the most pretty lines I've drawn but they were drawn on a pretty beautiful canvas that I wished I could've captured. No matter, there will be more as although I admit to liking (loving) tele more, AT has its place in my quiver of activities for the things I can't do very well (safely) on teles: steeps, tight trees, and variable condition days in the back country. Plus, the bindings release which is always a plus.

Tune of the day:
This will be random seeming, but "Cottontail" by Duke Ellington - specifically the version on Duke's Big 4. I think this is one of the greatest jazz tunes (and albums) of all time. It's strange to think the album was created 17 days before I was born in 1973.

Snow update:
I've already lost track.
Friday 12/19 = 2" or 3"...i don't remember.
Last night 12/23 = 1" at most. It was forecasted to snow more but the mountains west of the divide got almost a foot. But I hear we got over 6" around WindyTunnel.
Total Snowfall Estimate at DVR: 25"

1 comment:

NinjaPonyDad said...

I love reading your posts. Hmm, no picture??? What about this imagination?? I've got it, Wow what pretty lines, I wish I knew how to carve like that ....and its secret, no one else around to share/spoil... Believe me my friend your words carry pretty far.
Now, Duke Ellington pure master. I had no idea you had any appreciation for jazz....it runs thru my blood and if you'd like to sample some of my stash, say the word.....got some chop il' take yo hed off...
they say its Christmas....even the animals know...