Saturday, October 24, 2009

Valmont Park Groundbreaking Cyclocross Race

Valmont Bike Park. I'm sure you've heard all about it by now if you're living in the Colorado Front Range. A full-service "bike park" in the fullest sense. There will be a pump track, dual slalom course, dirt jumps, full UCI cyclocross course, and more than I even know. It's taken around 10 years and a lot of work from a ton of people but The Pilot has been primary in designing the park, a full time job when you include the public process that's involved. I'm usually not one for "development" but when it's a City Park within City Limits, it's a great use of land and will be an amazing resource for such a cycling-centric community.

Ten years ago, the Pilot and I created a cross course for a Supercup Cyclocross series race - he designed it, i helped put it on the ground. I was a Waiter on Wheels at the time trying to figure out what to do with my life after a not-so-successful (in terms of making a living) racing career on the MTB circuit. I was hired by local race promoter CG to cut the course and make a bridge over the ditch to connect the two sides of the park. (The bridge still stands today! But needed some help some years ago.) So coming back here to do a race after the community has helped contribute over $400,000 to the cause is pretty inspiring. Just like with the Ned skatepark, a few people can change a community for a lifetime.

The race was October 17th and it was a typical fall day in Boulder - sunny and warm. T-shirt weather so I donned my cotton Boulder Cyclesport 'jersey' and headed down the hill for the race. Last year I had decided i was going to upgrade and race the Open category for this year of racing. After 2 wins and rumblings of some in the 35+ crew wondering why I was in their category...well I just thought it best to go back to the Opens even if it meant I was going to get my ass kicked. And, I WAS GOING TO GET MY ASS KICKED!...no doubt about it. My training involved bike tours and singlespeed rides, and no high intensity intervals or workouts to speak of, except for one or two Wednesday morning cross rides with the group. I was truly on the Pilot training program - race yourself into shape. So it was, I lined up with all the other mopes in the Open and was happy to see many familiar faces that are still there 10 years later. I wouldn't be in the top 5 with them this race this time around but I did feel at home here - Dubba, the Pilot, JHK, Paco, and the Flemish Wonder to name a few. I did miss seeing and mixing it up with BHlud, the WB, DrCross of M&C, and JC though!

The 20 top riders got called up and then i squeaked in just after them as I had been a donor for the park. I took the wheel of the Pilot. But not for long.

BANG!
We were off.

The start was a loose dirt "path" that hit a right turn 300ft or so later up a hill and back down to a huge bermed turn to a left and run-up next to the beer garden then down and left to an offcamber loose dirt doubletrack of sorts. So to say the start was a bit crazy because of the loose dusty conditions would be an understatement. I bobbled, almost went down after I almost hit a Mafia racer who would soon pass me like i was going still, and all the while inhaled more dust than I'd ever like to inhale in a year again. Not a good start but I was in the top half still. I passed a few and a few dropped off and eventually settled in near some guys I've never met before but took the wheel of the Flemish Wonder. We were sitting in around 15th place as a group. My power isn't all that, but on the wavy curvy sections I'd gain time or rest a bit more than some of the rest i felt. Eventually, the Flemish Wonder dropped me (with no thanks to Bobby on the mic! hah!) and the other 3 in our chase group. We dueled back and forth and eventually they got the best of me. I passed one dude on the last tech section and then he passed me in the last 20 feet of the race as I'm certainly no sprinter. I ended up 17th and reached my goal of top 20 for my first race of the year in the Open cat. There was some attrition on this very very rough 'mountain-bikey' course as about 49 started and only 36 or so finished. I almost wished I had the Hunter 29er for this course with 1.8" tires as I could've hopped some barriers and just RAILED the corners better. But hey, it's cross after all and that's part of the challenge of the sport, and why I love it - you're riding what is basically a road bike OFF-road.

I have no pictures from the day, and everybody is charging to buy their pictures of the day, so we'll have to go picture-less for this post. I apologize but check out Mud and Cowbells for more.

No comments: