Saturday, February 20, 2010

New Dawn Patrol Spot

Got an email early AM last Monday that BadCop and theBird were headed up to a local ski spot for some turns. I was feeling a bit tired from the hut trip still but I decided to head up as theBird knew some turns i didn't know about. This will now be my new spot for Dawn Patrol before work. Here's a short video of the tour.

It started out chilly, but warmed up to appear like a nice spring day with several inches of powder and windblown. It truly felt like April. Lots of people and dogs at this particular place, but man, some great turns were had and it finally feels like the Front Range is getting some snow from this El Nino thing.

We were all on our Dynafit Manaslu's but theBird had his setup Tele with Voile' Switchbacks. Pretty freakin perfect tele setup - the lightest I've seen and probably skis the best with the early rise tip so to reduce tip dive in breakable crust and deep pow. I'm still waiting for the perfect tele setup (light boots & releasable, light, efficient, & powerful bindings) but his was the closest I've seen although it's still at least 2 pounds heavier than what I'm on right now. "But it's TELE!" he says...yep, that's true. It's all skiing!, I say (although I was yearning to tele that day).

One of the highlights for me was seeing an 18 year old Aussie mix going for a ski tour with her mom and younger brother. Amazing that this dog was out there at all, at least 2 miles from the trailhead on snow. Very cool to see but I can't help but think about how The Monkey was taken too early and couldn't be there with me to do such adventures.

1 comment:

NinjaPonyDad said...

Light skis, heavy heart.

You know the Monkey probably was "with" you....gave you that thought, at least that's how I think while trying to heal.
I'll have to get in touch with you to see what you are skiing on....333 hasn't answered my last two emails leaving me to wonder...so its been classic skiing this season, AND riding the Roubaix course!!
NPD