Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It's all about the UP

New bumper sticker from me and Hayride

We've been talking about making this sticker for awhile now so finally I just did it. You all should know by now this is a good motto for me, whether it's referring to skiing or mountain biking. But if you're not a backcountry skier, you may not realize it's a take-off on Black Diamond's recent advertising campaign proclaiming "It's all about the down." Hmm...should such a statement be coming from a company primarily selling gear for backcountry skiing...? If you don't like the up, please go to a ski resort and leave the solitude, expansive views, wildlife tracking, touring and exploring, meandering skin tracks and conversation, and of course the untracked powder for those that do.

Resorts and ski lifts have their place but for me they're like weights in a gym, to practice and hone skills, and of course have fun while you're at it. I feel empty after hitting up the resort, like yin without the yang. All the cliche' sayings about 'hard work' could transfer over here...it's the up that makes the down special. I never realized that fact until I found Jesus in the backcountry (so to speak).

If you want one or two, send me an email at: meriweather8 at gmail dot com with your address.

(If I've offended you all that live by lift-served access... sorry...but get used it if you're going to keep reading this blog.)

No comments: