Thursday, April 8, 2010

Two days, two seasons

Wednesday

Thursday

The weather has continued to be psychotic here going from winter to spring and back almost on a daily basis. This week was highlighted by my girl's birthday on Wednesday with an amazing dinner from Leaf restaurant in Boulder. Happy Birthday, Smrp!

Don't ever take training advice from me. I suck at it, never been good at it. I just ride when I have time and feel like it. But lately I'm feeling the presence of that 64 fluid miles of the Original Growler bearing down on me in 6 weeks and realizing I haven't rode that long in a very long time. Not sure you can cram for an endurance race, but it'll be fun to try!

Previously on Tuesday, I hitched a ride back up the hill to the fire station from Hayride, and rode the rest of the way testing out the new Stans wheelset (29er 355's). Felt great, but as soon as i finished the short hour ride home and hung the IF on the rack, the rear tire deflated instantly...great...how does that happen?! I guess i'm not riding THAT bike tomorrow. (Note to others using cross tires on Stans - don't use Kenda small-blocks, Maxxis Locusts work great though.)

Tuesday night it snowed 6" and as i left my car at work I happily ponied up and got the Hunter out (with studs still on thankfully) for the ride into town. It was still dumping as I left the ranch and it felt awesome to get back on the Hunter. Future mountain tour ideas flowered in my head. The ride started frozen and then went to slush lower down - the kind of half-frozen slop that forms an ice casing on your down tube and bottom bracket. Properly dressed, i love that stuff. I ended up somewhat melancholy as it was perhaps the last wintery ride I do this year (I just jinxed us, sorry...but not really).

Longs Peak on the left, and Rhino peak on the right, from way south of there

Thursday saw my first ride home of the year, and being a bit early still and with recent snow I abstained on the 4x4 route over the backside of red rocks road and hit up the Dam longer way home. I've somehow never ridden this way UP, only down, and I now realize that this will be a staple of my springtime rides. The route definitely hurt me, and has more pavement than I'd prefer, but the beauty of the diversity of climes passed makes it all worth the while. Worked, after 3 hours and 30 miles, we feasted on food and sipped a Maximus. This morning I did the vice versa of last night's route and snapped a new chain only 5 miles from home. The overhaul of Tank was completed but still has 'issues' apparently...it's a never-ending battle I tell you fixing these damned bicycles!

Happy Friday and happy weekend all!

No comments: