Friday, April 16, 2010

The week in pictures

Monday morning.
St. Vrain mountain to the left of Sugarloaf on the ride into work. Can you see my turns from the day before?

Tuesday and Wednesday. TIG welding class in Arvada.

My first TIG welds patched up these 6 squares of steel into cubes and we had some fun putting them on their ends like this. TIG is much harder than I thought, much more 'small' and precise, but apparently I picked it up faster than average (or so he said). Not the prettiest welds on those boxes but I'll get there. I always thought I wanted to braze - create frames with lugs and fillet brazing - but I must say that the beauty of a good TIG weld is hard to beat and this class made me appreciate just how hard it is to get that perfect looking weld. Next Monday, I start the frame-building portion of the class, so by next weekend I'll have a new cross singlespeed frame! More later...

Thursday morning, Elks Club. What are YOU lookin at?!

Thursday PM.

The ride home cut it a bit close to darkness. The problem with riding home in April is that when you don't get off work till 5, by the time you get home at 7:30, it's freaking back down to 40 degrees and you've been sweating into your woolies for 2 hours. But I'm really enjoying the long rides, I've missed them. The amount of time to just think and be alone with your thoughts, and to listen to music in earphones where I always hear things i somehow 'missed' in the same songs I've heard for years, and the way the miles magically cleanse away any and all baggage life adds on during the day. Yeah, I've missed spinning those miles away.

Friday.
No pictures. Grey day of low clouds threatening rain all day but none produced. Rode in on the Dam route and had a fine rolling tasting with Timmy to end the day right.

No comments: