Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Time for the Moosemits

I like getting back into the pattern of the bike commute. Yesterday and today have been sub-20 at the house and a mile away climbed at least 5 degress above that thankfully. The road in the above shot is the normal winter route as the trails are more or less shut down by snow (for Tank's small tires at least). It's only a 1 mile, 400+ vertical feet ascent but it seems like it takes forever. Although it is a good warm up or wake up after the first 3-4 miles of downhill along Cold Creek. Today, not one car passed me going up this road, something i don't think has ever happened to me before. The holidays see so many fewer people on the road.

Winter's a unique time to be out there at the start and end of the days. The light is incredible (if it's not dark like after the bus ride home) and the temperatures and the road conditions keep you on your toes. I finally broke out the Moosemitts after some scolding by my poor fingers who seem to get cold when they even look at the thermometer. I have ruined my nerves in my fingers and toes via winter commuting and skiing. I think I've finally learned that there is no glove on earth that will keep my fingers warm - the gloves aren't the problem, it's all me. So therefore, i've learned over the last 8 years of doing these mountain commutes is to put on the Moosemitts when it's sub-20...period. No questions asked, just do it. Has anyone ever complained of their hands being too warm? Don't think so. The Moosemitts are a bit cumbersome, but you can wear a lighter glove for better dexterity and still stay warm. NOTE: I noticed tonight that the makers of the mitts have a new version out! -- for drop-bars (yes, Timmy, you heard me right!) and the regular model works for ski poles (yes, Redneck, you heard me right!).

No comments: