Monday, November 30, 2009

Golden brown

The winter bike commute routine: 6am wake up call. Get up, check outside temperature, clothe accordingly. Let dogs out to go potty and stand out there with them to make sure Bear doesn't snack. Go inside and grub cereal, FRS, and warm up the espresso machine. Pull a couple of shots and sit with my girl watching the outside world wake up while enjoying the warm sweet bitters of the coffee. Say goodbye to all, board bike, and ride off down the road. Get to work an hour and 20 minutes later (the "direct route") and sit at my desk for 8 hours - mix in a meeting or two and call it a normal day. Quitting time puts me back on the bike riding the 5-ish miles back into town to the station where the bus shuttles me back up the 17 miles to Ned. I dismount the metal tube and motivate for the cold and likely windy 4 mile ride back home in the dark. Get home, pet dogs, grab beer and make fire. Eat, sleep, repeat.

The golden brown grass in the morning light is one of my favorite scenes of winter here. Some people call this place "too brown" or "not green enough" but for me it's hard to imagine a more beautiful place.
Today, 12 degrees and over 80% humidity at the house = Siberian Valley Ranch strikes again. As i climb out of the creek, it warms significantly and only one car passes me this time up the dirt road climb. What is up with that?! I even stopped to take a picture and still only one car passed me!

The elk were out today in the big meadow. Two bull elk were practicing their moves and bugling. They noticed me watching them from at least 1500 feet away. There's something about bikes they don't like...they spook more easily when they see me on bike but not when I'm in a car. Guess I look more like a predator (or alien?).

Up on the rolling dirt road you see above it's warm(er), no mitts needed, but I leave them on for the 4 plus mile, 3000 ft. descent into the canyon where there are some places that don't get sun for weeks in the winter. It's not too bad today and the fingers and toes thankfully stay warm. I usually don't do the math or cite stats, but I actually had never figured out the ascent/descent/length from my most recent abode to work. So here it is once and only once, not like anyone's keeping track: 24 miles, 1280 ft ascent, 3026 ft descent. Summertime I occasionally reverse that by riding home too but heck no in winter.

A ride back from the bus with the Redneck tonight. Talking or shall I saw scheming of skiing and new techniques to keep the hands warm whilst skiing and riding. If I only knew how to sew and had an industrial-type sewing machine! I'd make some cool stuff and test it out on these commutes. Hmm...

2 comments:

KB said...

I love your description of your day! It sounds like your morning bike ride is a real highlight, on most days anyway. Watching the world wake up with your family sounds wonderful too.

For warm hands, ask Mr. Redneck to make you some pogies. I adore mine! I never had warm hands until I got them. I've ridden at -5 deg F, and still had warm hands (with mittens and handwarmers under the pogies). That would be completely impossible without the pogies.

NinjaPonyDad said...

I know a guy that knows how to sew and has the machines...let me know if you want his contact info.
I'm about to post about sweaty feet getting frozen to carbon....the ride SEEMED like a good idea!