Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dawn patrol: crisis narrowly averted


Moon over VeryMale. I nearly got turned around at the lake today on my first real dawn patrol of the season (for turns at least). The foot of snow we got sunday night got blown onto the road up to the perpetual clearcuts (ski resort) and two dumbasses were already stuck in the drifts. "My SUV can make it!" Not. So I parked where i was and checked out the quickest turns I've ever gotten on a trail we name VeryMale. Most the area was wind affected (SLAB) but there were some gems in there of soft snow that, with the morning light, made for an awesome morning. The Karhu Guides and Burnt Mtn LiteDogs are a perfect setup for me...really they're my ideal setup for this kind of back, slack, and all around ski-country.

I am really not sure why humans like the FLOATING feeling so much. But it seems universal. Is it the feeling of weightlessness - no gravity? Is it flying-envy? Is it the feeling of (what we hope is) the afterlife? So many sports have the goal of weightlessness and the fastest and best athletes make it look easy - they float over the dirt, tarmac, snow, track, whatever the medium may be...it all feels similar when you're in that zone.

Even though I could only link 5 or 10 turns in a row, it made the day. That feeling of float, of taking charge of gravity and the other physical laws and telling them to "hold on a minute!"

If you look closely you can see my runs and waxtrax...and this is what you would see from the road up to the resort. SHH!

No comments: