Thursday, February 21, 2008

Killed by Death

It always cracks me up when I ride by the elk and they all run farther away and look back at me like I'm on a suspensful TV show. Cars zoom by, not seeing them, and the elk don't seem bothered by it...but a cyclist they run from..!? As soon as the cars slow and stop, and their windows open, then the elk realize there's a person inside and trot away.

Then lower down on the ride in I spotted this young buck. He also stood as still as possible, hoping I wasn't seeing him. I usually don't stop and take pictures of wildlife since it's kind of disturbing them for my personal enjoyment, but I was far enough away I didn't think I was stressing them out.

Later, in Boulder, i saw a confused red fox on campus, seeming like it woke up too late and got stuck on the east side of Broadway. It was obviously trying to go to the west side - the mountain side - but couldn't get across Broadway with all the traffic. He stepped back and paralleled the road for awhile as I watched. He knew the area well so headed straight for the bike path underpass that led to the other side of the road, trotted through it safely, and disappeared into the neighborhood. Smart fox.

After a day full of meetings, I was happy to leave. Riding to the bus I noticed the mePod was somehow switched to my KBD playlist (Killed by Death records)...I did not knowingly do this but I went with it anyway. This playlist is all old 7" EP songs from mostly punk bands that no one, including myself, has ever heard of. For some reason I took the left up the canyon instead of continuing onto the bus. Why? I blame the music. It was bound to happen sometime...but it just hasn't happened this early in many years. A mini heart attack at mile marker 3 slowed me down a bit near the top. (Yes, I am out of shape.) Luckily for me a car slowed as it passed, it was Nimby, so I hopped in for a ride home. Popped open a couple Avery IPAs for the quick recovery drink. Maybe next time I'll make it all the way home on my own. But for now, I learned that I won't be killed by Killed by Death reords.

No comments: