Sunday, February 24, 2008

Guiding light

There are a few reasons I'm not a guide. I play one with friends, but i'd get fired if I made people pay me to drag them around on a tour for some turns. Today was one of those days that there was good reason i had the only tracks heading up to this remote lake seen above. It's a relatively long and flat approach into the lake and THEN you get to get some turns in on short-ish shallow hills. But that's what I'm all about - no crowds, just me and the....well...i didn't see any movement up there at all today. All in all, almost an 8 hour day in the pins. Down low, I think it may have rained (!!??) and the snow was crusty icy crapola, but above 10.000ft it was pretty good powder, if heavy. Weird weather for this area. A big Pacific storm has moved in and they're calling for up to a foot in the high country! But today, we had barely freezing temps but it was dumping - it felt like the Sierra snow I grew up with.

These pictures are pretty unspectacular, I was trying to eek out a few OK ones to show the area and turns.

The sun broke through, just barely, for a few minutes.


Then a un-forecasted solar eclipse suddenly blackened the sky and inverted the colors...it was insane!

Tressel view of Rollins Pass. The hill in the foreground must be skied another day, but with buddies, as it was a tad too steep to ski alone (and in leather boots).

No comments: