Sunday, February 3, 2008

A long tour


I've been wanting to take the Combats out on this tour for years. It's long and gradual in this gorgeous glaciated valley that doesn't gain more than 2000ft over 10 miles. Most of the uphill is like the picture above, but it opens up to some of the most spectacular views this area has to offer. Not many a folk go past the wilderness boundary (almost 6 miles in) I noticed as i was breaking trail for the better part of the morning.

Sawtooth on the left, Red Deer Mtn on the right. Sawtooth is one sweet spring ski trip if you can get up early enough to get there before the rollerballs take you out.


That's Elk's Tooth with one of the best lookin couloirs i've seen around here. It's the one to the right of the knob that almost starts from the top. I'm thinking a spring overnight camping trip is in order here - maybe June? The opposite side of the valley has numerous other couloirs to ski as well.

Then of course i went OFF-course and tried to find a couple of open glades to ski on my way back. Problem was, I couldn't see them from my approach so I zig-zagged back and forth looking for them. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out...like today. No matter, they ain't goin nowhere! In the above pic if you look close, you can see the trail/road that leads up the valley where i was an hour before this was taken. Snow is on its way!

No comments: