Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hangin out at the pool

4 hour meeting, pick up burritos (2 for us, one to split between the dogs), and then head to the park for some skating. Like usual, nobody is in the pool at 7pm so I start carving and get dizzy. On to the "Pro Bowl" where i, as usual, scare myself in the cradle and grab some air off the hips trying to get higher and higher with each run. There's always something to keep your mind going while skating. That's what's great about it, but also hard when you're kinda spacey or tired. Not like biking where you can just spin and take it easy if you want, with skating you have to be ON it in, especially at the cement parks...or you go down. And that's what I did. I got a little too ego on a backside off the hip and landed on my side knocking my head and wrist pretty good. Breather at the bottom of the bowl, assessing the damages. Hmm...i appear to be OK. No worries about lying there for 5 minutes as I'm not going to get run over - I was alone in there too. All the kids are out in the flowy 'street' area with their little flippy tricks. But today it was a little bit different. It was really cool to see the kids carving more, learning the curves of the park, creating their own lines, using it the way the park creators imagined...and getting better at skating. It was noticeably different. Some kids I've seen struggling before were today looking like they knew what they were doing and gaining confidence. It's hard to explain, but knowing that I had a tiny part in getting this park into this little mountain town where kids can hang out and use their energy in a positive way...well, it's a cool thing. It took the entire town to do it, but it's a reality now. I wish I had such a place when I was their age. Instead i was getting kicked out of every nook and cranny we tried to skate by the cops.

In other news....hour 10 on the Brooks. I feel a bit more suspension from the saddle but I'm on the verge of some bruises on my butt bones. Less slippy than previously...i think that was from the waterproofing wax i used in addition to the leather treatment/conditioner. I won't be putting any more of that stuff on. Least I say, it's NOT broken in. More to come.

1 comment:

NinjaPonyDad said...

There must be a different way to break in that Brooks....like with new jeans....BEFORE you wear them. You probably have to run over it with tractor cleats or something!
Nice writeup on the park....once again I admire your mad skilz and find myself goofy foot ...all the way up...