Monday, August 31, 2009

Leadville 100

The thing abut this years Leadville 100 that has been bothering me is not necessarily that a roadie won, but that he thought he needed a team to win it. He called in the troops (which happened to be excellent mtn bikers). I don't actually think he needed Travis and Shriver to lead him out at such a fierce pace in order to win, but it did help work over Weins and the rest of the contenders.
I guess I just I think it's hilarious that he truly was focusing on this years Leadville - to break the course record set the previous year by a retired mtn bike pro who is 7 years his elder (and beat him in the setting of that record). And no offense to Weins, but he wasn't a top World Cup pro in his heyday like Mr. Armstrong was, and still is apparently. So now what? Who else descends on Leadville to break the record and beat the locals? I dunno, maybe it was just bringing the road into a classic mtb event that irks me? Maybe I should stop bitching. Maybe the Pilot and I should get our asses in shape and work for Weins next year.

2 comments:

KB said...

Yes you should! Now that would be cool...

I think that Mr. Armstrong cannot stand to lose so after losing last year, he had to 'right' things. On one level, it is cool that an international rider brought so much attention to Leadville. But, I do see your point.

NinjaPonyDad said...

Wow, now we're gettin' to it. I think you're boyh right, LA has this domination thing and the chop to pull it off. Doesn't make it right. When I first heard (and I have roadie roots) that he was "coming out of retirement" all I could think of was 'Leave us alone' we've already had years of Lance everything, dude, you won the Tour seven times....go raise tomatoes, concentrate on the cancer stuff, write childrens books, but let us develop NEW heros...not named Lance. BTW, I apologise for my roadie roots, I know dirt is winning.....I just recently had to find some swoop as I found myself on a cross bike hittin the singletrack oldskool....its the line man, the line