Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Confessions of a gear whore

I am now known by name at the local Sports Recycler. I definitely have gotten some good use out of that place over the years and it's the same dudes running it, but still, I apparently go there too often and I'm not exactly the most social of types introducing myself and stuff. I do like gear, and for someone who tries to be low on the 'consumption totem pole' i fail miserably year in, year out. Mostly I like (ok, LOVE) gear because I have high expectations and i also quickly wear stuff out. That, and I find out quickly that some gear just plain sucks and you don't know until you try it out. I should go over the gear I have that I've had for greater than 5 years just to share what works, and lasts. Future blog post but while I'm thinking about it...Northwave Arctic winter cycling shoes (c.1999), Independent Fabrications Planet Cross bike (c.2000), Deuter Futura 28 cycling pack (c.2002), Swobo longsleeve wool jersey (c.1997) - finally had to recycle this year because of too many moth holes rendered it somewhat useless sadly. More later.

[PS- the elevation profile on my last post has been fixed. Word to Google Chrome developers - when i post images using Chrome, they don't size up in a new window when clicked! Must use Firefox or IE.]

2 comments:

KB said...

I need to check on those arctic bike shoes. I wear Lake winter shoes. They're very warm but they fall apart quickly. They last only a little more than a season.

Meriwether said...

Sadly, i think they no longer make the Arctic shoe. I also don't think it's as warm as the warmest Lake, and it's not as much of a high top. I'll post a picture soon. But it's a solid built shoe, bomber.