Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cyclocross

It becomes an obsession. It was my "thing" each fall up until about 8 years ago when I unofficially "retired." But as most know by now - especially in the cycling world - no one really retires...they just go away for a few years and come back almost just as strong (many times anyways). To name just a few retirees that still kick your ass: Ned Overend, Travis Brown, Pete Webber, Dave Weins, and now Lance. They "retire" to have a normal life - have kids and such - and then show up out of nowhere and go right back to where they were before they retired. Now I'm definitely NOT comparing myself to these riders, no way! But I do have the same virus that they got when they returned to racing.

My passion for CX has always been there, but my desire to race wanes as other priorities take precedence. To me, cross is a true racing sport. It's a fast paced cycling steeple chase where roadies, mountain bikers, and everyone inbetween gets together to duke it out in the "off-season." It's fun to watch for spectators and fun to race even if you're suffering grasping for every last O2 molecule. If you haven't checked out Mud and Cowbells yet (new link on the side) definitely do if you love cross. I recently met Keller and he writes (and rides) cross very well and is more passionate about it than anybody I know.

So...after 8 years, more or less, away from cross, things have changed. At least there are still people cross-dressing and wearing fake rainbow afros out there having a ton of fun!

My Independent Fabrications Planet Cross steel frame is no longer a sweet race bike in the minds of many...frames have all gone to carbon and superlight aluminum (Scandium) is even falling out of favor. (However, Indy-Fab's stainless steel frame is just sick! Drool....) The new carbon trend has dropped bike weights to road bike levels - my bike is seriously at least 5 pounds heavier than many of my compatriots. But hey, it's steel and it's sweet! I'm sure my 10 year old Mavic tubular wheelset has been replaced by something carbon as well...but would it last 10 years? Don't think so. How do you even true those wheelsets? I'm at a total loss. So this must be why I'm now the "Old Schooler" at the races. I'm only 35, but my friends DJ'ing the races and on the sidelines are yelling such things as "The ONLY school is the OLD school!" I laugh, but also question why I'm an anomaly at the races?

Is it my Midge bars (new style Dirt Drops)? Or is it what I wear? I wear what's comfortable and functional for me - baggie Nemas and a wool jersey (cotton shirts the last few weekends as it's still summer here somehow!?). For some reason, this wardrobe confuses many, offends some, and I think threatens others. I never have understood why so many people don't like racing with, and especially getting beat by a dude in baggy shorts. One of the other reasons I wear what I wear is to show that ANYBODY can race bikes. It has nothing to do with what you wear and how many sponsors you have or if you shave your legs or not. It's all about what's inside, and how hard you worked to get here. Think of your favorite fast rider or racer...now think of them in baggies and a t-shirt (if they aren't already of course). They would be just as fast. I guarantee it.

I guess I've always just questioned the mainstream and questioned authority. And I do understand that there are benefits to the lightweight lycra jerseys and shorts that everyone races in. But there are other options. So when everyone's towing the line, and you can't understand why, don't just step in line, make your own line! Ok, I'll step off my horse now. Cheers!

2 comments:

NinjaPonyDad said...

8,6,3,1 I oughta play those numbers.
A near meteorical rise on the 'cross scene!
And done to your own tune. Those that comment on your differences are probably wondering why they don't choose to be comfortable have their own 'style' whatever. Its easy to criticize when you are in the majority, those that know you don't seem to let it bother them.....and why oh why should it. Congrats Meriwether, you've got some chop.

Scott said...

wu tang