Sunday, November 30, 2008

A good day

Dubba chases Paco (photo courtesy of Boulder Cyclesport)

I rethought going skiing and went to the cross race at Bear Creek Park in Morrison. There's only two races left (one, after today = State Champs next weekend). And after yesterday's race in the snow and mud...i just had to go...it just HAD to be done. There aren't many chances to race cross, and to race cross in the snow. Speaking of...I thought it wasn't supposed to snow today, but it was even snowier than yesterday, and colder! The course was excellent: lots of singletrack but with more passing opportunities than yesterday's race. There was some sand, and lots of ice and snow. The conditions were pure winter Colorado -- 30 degrees and dumping snow with packed snow and ice on the roads and trails. The tire pressure had to be as low as possible, i think i was down to 25 at the most on the tubies. Ice ruts covered in a light dusting of new snow ...offcamber corners...you know how it is...your foot out around many corners, and the straightaways were just as sketch as anything out there. You'd just be riding along and suddenly you'd hit an icy section while pedaling a bit too hard and your back wheel would be 1 foot to your right or left in a millisecond. Clumps of ice and snow sticking to your cleats, barely able to get into your pedals after the dismounts...it was seriously epic. And it just kept snowing throughout the race, changing course dynamics each lap.

Alas, it was a good day.

I had my mojo with me today and just felt it. It started out with 4 of us: Ward, Greg (Mud and Cowbells), Michael, and myself. We got a good gap and kept going. After lap two, I bumbled over a barrier and stacked onto my bike and twisted my bars sideways. Boneheaded maneuver! I had to spend 20 secs twisting them back while the other 3 rode away. I thought that was it. To catch back up, I knew I just had to keep it steady and smooth and stay upright. A half-lap later I luckily caught back up to Greg's wheel and I was back in the group. That was about when Ward was riding away from us. I had to keep with him so got to pass was on Ward's wheel as we dove back into the singletrack. This was the time and place where I realized I was faster than him today on the trail and plans were hatched in me head. He got me yesterday, it's my turn today. I ended up passing Ward on the next road section before the next singletrack and rode just a tiny bit faster than him through the singletrack. I got a good gap and was able to keep it for the last lap and a half and took home the Victory. Greg ended up running right by Michael on the long run up and help the gap to grab 3rd! That dude can run faster than anybody I know, except maybe Webber.

I have not won many races, in this or any of my previous racing seasons, so this was truly one of the best and most satisfying wins (or races) I've ever had. Ward's going very fast right now, and just in time for State Champs next weekend. It was awesome to see my team mate Greg riding so fast too, and get a podium spot I believe for the first time this season! Part of the fun of the race is always gossiping with the crew at the finish line after the race, replaying each step. There's such support for everyone and how they did, no ego, just pats on the back and high-5's. This is what I come back to racing for: throwing yourself out there into the mix with a bunch of guys you know (or don't yet) and getting props and support for your efforts no matter how you do. 45 minutes of adventure.

Check out the pictures on Mud and Cowbells as I wasn't able to grab any today.

Back at the Ranch, me and my girl hiked in the fresh snow with the Count Muppies on the MonkeyTraverse loop. Lots and lots of tracks around the area...coyote, a very wandering vole, fox, squirrel and rabbit. Smrp saw the elk herd a few days ago on the eastern ridge heading up the aspen gulch so we know they're around, but they haven't browsed the valley since then unfortunately. I really love that winter is coming and all that brings with it, but I will miss the MTB rides and cyclocross.

1 comment:

NinjaPonyDad said...

Congrats on a 1-2weekend of racing. man when you say "race' you mean it!!!
Sorry I couldn't get out to give in-person props, it sounds like you had a blast!
I'm with you noticing the tracks on our little hike, up at Paintball you could almost put the bird tracks to music .....something frentic and meandering...the elk have been east of us for the last couple of days, coming around and about the Twins. We'll definitely see you at States, to watch you bang it out for the crown!
Giddyup,
NPD