Thursday, December 24, 2009

An excellent essay

So many times, backcountry skiers forget the basics = common sense. They forget to use their brain and have a bit of humility in front of nature; to observe what's around them and make solid decisions based on all available clues. I have my moments where my ego and the prospect of a funner run slip into my psyche; where I rely too much on technology to make decisions for me; but I hope by reading this article and browsing the avy books every fall I will continue to make smart decisions off-piste because my life does depend on it.
http://www.mountaingazette.com/exclusive/features/of_troglodytes_and_technology/

1 comment:

KB said...

Years ago, my dog and I were a canine search and rescue team, and we started avi training (decided not to pursue it after a while). Whew, that scared the heck out of me, once I started learning about how very responsible people still ended up getting tricked by conditions or slides starting above them. It didn't stop me from going into the snowy mountains but it did make me the most conservative backcountry skier that you'd ever find!