Saturday, December 5, 2009

Late Saturday afternoon snowride

Riding in the snow can be one of the funnest things you can do on a bike, and it can also be one of the most severely frustrating things you can do on a bike all in the same hour long ride. You know the feeling. Just like with skis, if it turns into breakable crust or windslab you are hurting...and walking. It sucks the life out of you. But in the protected trees, the soft 4" deep snow on singletrack is chocolate mousse. Smooth and rich.

After a day of chores, including waxing the skis for the first time of this winter - and tomorrow's ski with the Redneck - I snuck out for a short ride around the hood with the Hunter. We had just finished a short hike where the poor dog's paws were getting quickly frozen; it was maybe 16 degrees, at the lowest. These are not sled dogs. The conditions look do-able so i got out before the sun set, kinda. Freaking 4:30 sunset these days makes it hard to do anything.

James Peak at sunset

1 comment:

KB said...

We'll get you on a snow bike before you know it! The conditions were very tough and frustrating yesterday. The day before yesterday, they were perfect. I flew like I was on dirt. We'll see what today holds. But, you'll be skiing - have a blast for me too! I miss tele skiing.

I love the title of your blog. I see that you posted, and I think to myself, "I wonder what Meriwether is ranting about today?".