Thursday, December 10, 2009

Coyotes and Cold commutes

Three coyotes hunting in the front meadow before heading off to the bus. (KB- they look like 'your' coyotes!) The horses were closed into their stalls because the temps were forecasted to get down to -15 again. These three staked out the property in one smooth down-valley movement until they got here where the picture was taken. Maybe they heard the crazy barking dog at the bottom of the driveway that gets left out all night (horrible pet owners). Or maybe they all heard the same vole. Who knows, but they all marked up that brown post on the left like it was the coolest thing to do on earth. It's amazing to me how they can seem unaffected by the cold whereas our dog's lift their paws up into the air in horror after 5 minutes being outside with how cold the snow is.

Off the bus on to the bike paths in the Flatlands. The roads were treacherous, the paths were butter. Cold down there, but nothing like up at the ranch where the winds have picked up and we're getting some 'fun' conditions like zero degrees and 40mph gusts making the windchill...well...COLD.

Getting some studded cross tires for Tank, seems like these conditions will be around for awhile. Going to try out the Schwalbe Marathon Winter's as they have nicely looking"siped" treads and a 240 stud count. This site has good pictures and info on most of the studded tires out there. I usually don't use them as the transition from here to the Flatlands is usually bad, but once you get down there it's summer. This winter is a different story though.

1 comment:

KB said...

This winter really is a 'different' story. Whew - I usually embrace it once it gets here. Now, I'm just waiting for a break!

Great coyote photos. I know that lots of people don't like 'em, but I sure do. They're our wild canines!

I'm so impressed that you've been bike commuting. I was scared off from outdoor riding 2 days ago when I thought that the wind was going to batter me to death. But, I may try again today.