Saturday, December 12, 2009

Icy roads, icy toes


Friday's commute started out at 19 at the house, a HIGH for the last week by almost 20 degrees. Funny how it feels balmy when it's 20 now. I dressed lighter but that was a mistake since there was a bit of an inversion going on. I thought I was getting colder down the 'drop' just because i was going so damned slow on roads like those above and no studs on Tank yet, but it really dropped in temp. My face felt a sting, especially the left upper cheek-bone that got frost nip at the Grand Traverse last March. Had the face mask in the pack but of course I didn't stop to put it on, i was already so close to the bottom by the time I realized it was frozen that stopping would've made me colder, or it would've made too much sense!

Cold feet again today, looking to try out the Lake MXZ302's this year even though i hear they fall apart. Not many choices out there for winter shoes. Two, maybe three if you can find the new Northwave Celcius' in your size. Sidi, Lake, and the new Pearl Izumi's. That's it. Sidi's are even more expensive than the Lakes and they don't fit my feet well. The Pearl's look ok, but hey, it's their first year out so I will give them some time to learn from mistakes. It's time to retire the Arctics.

Keen wool insoles

I bought a pair of wool Keen shoes a couple of years ago. They're those things that slip on, not clogs but not performance shoes at all, but warm and easy to get on/off. And they look like you have Wookie feet. Not sure they sell them anymore but they came with these sweet insoles. Rubber in the middle sandwiched by wool on the top and a heat reflective (tinfoil-like) surface on the bottom. They're perfect to put in the winter cycling shoes and resist the heat loss and cold that comes thru the cleat. I looked at the time and saw that Keen was asked by others than me to sell these separately. No such luck. But if you know of any other insole like this, comment and lemme know!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey johnson. try those heat paks that stick to the bottom of ur socks around th toes. at 2$ pair, cheaper than 200$ shoes. or, battery operated heaters. pilot

Meriwether said...

I know, I know. But those things are a last resort for me. They're always in my pack, but truthfully, I don't like to use them because I don't know what they're made of. (I can't imagine they're that great for the environment when dumped en masse into landfills.) So warmer winter shoes it is for me and the Lakes appear to be the warmest available. But if anyone can show me they're innocuous...I'd probably save myself some pain!

Meriwether said...

The battery operated heaters appear to be almost as much cash as the shoes!? Anyone have recommendations on good ones for cycling and/or skiing that aren't $200?